Woodland Presbyterian Church was formally chartered on October 5, 1958 and over its 50+ years has received more than 6,000 members. Prior to becoming an official church, several members joined together for worship at the “barn” of the Malcolm Williams’ on Patterson Road. That barn and property are now owned by Woodland charter members, Dick and Dorothy Piner. The barn is the scene of the annually observed “Christmas at the Barn” event re-enacting the birth of our savior, Jesus Christ. In December 2008, Woodland celebrated the 51st “Christmas at the Barn” and in October 2008, the Piner’s hosted a church wide barbeque in honor of the church’s 50th anniversary.
The Rev. F.L. Reeves, a retired minister and Cleve Wheelus, a seminary student, worked with these Patterson Road Presbyterians and members of Algiers Presbyterian Church and they combined in the fall of 1958 to form Woodland Presbyterian Church. On March 15, 1959, the first service was held in the new Woodland building (now our Christian Activity Center) at 5824 Berkley Drive in Algiers, our present address.
Woodland called its first pastor in September 1959. The Rev. W. Maynard Fountain, Jr. answered the call and was succeeded in 1967 by the Rev. C.H. “Jack” Reckard. There have been five other senior pastors: Dr. John A. Brothers, Jr. from 1972-1980; Rev. Rad Rader from 1981-1989; Rev. Dr. Munn Hinds from 1990-2008; Rev. Dr. Scott Luckey from 2006 to 2009; and Rev. Dr. John W. Uhl, 2010-to-present.
Over the years, Woodland’s facilities have grown. Pastor Rader led the building of our present sanctuary that was dedicated on September 08, 1985. Pastor Hinds was leader in 1991 when Woodland purchased a residence across Berkley Drive known as the Woodland House (aka. WooHou) which became our famed hostel for hundreds of volunteer workers following the devastating Hurricane Katrina and now allows our church to extend hospitality to a variety of church mission groups coming to serve in our city.
With the leadership of Pastor Luckey and the Session, the Woodland congregation on June 8, 2008 voted overwhelmingly to disaffiliate with the Presbyterian Church USA (PCUSA) and become a member of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC). Woodland is now a member of the EPC’s Presbytery of the Central South.
Under Pastor Uhls direction, Woodland members in early 2011 added a Board of Deacons to assist the church’s Elders in the work of the ministry. The Diaconate will serve a crucial role for the future leading our church missionally to display the love of Christ in New Orleans, especially in works of gospel-service and compassion. Also, on September 08, 2013, exactly twenty-eight years after the new sanctuary was dedicated, Woodland re-dedicated that space after a major initiative to refurbish the seating, lighting, flooring and paint preparing the church to welcome the next generation to worship the Lord.
New To Woodland?
We would love to worship with you this Sunday. Sunday worship is the highlight of our week. Life at Woodland is built upon our enjoying and knowing the presence of God together. We warmly invite you to join us.
Learn More →
Early Learning Center
The Early Learning Center (ELC) has operated for over 40 years and is well respected throughout the Greater New Orleans area.
Learn More →
Connect with Us
Subscribe to our E-NewsletterOnline Giving